By what criteria to choose a chainsaw to give?
The chiansaw is irreplaceable in a private farm or at the dacha. The overwhelming majority of owners prefer gasoline saws, which, unlike electric ones, are not tied to power sources.
In the market you can find this tool in a wide range. Models vary in weight, brand, purpose, chain. Therefore, the actual question is how to choose the right chainsaw.
First of all, it is necessary to decide for what needs a chainsaw will be used. They are divided into three groups that differ in power and weight: domestic, semi-professional and professional.
Choose a good chainsaw can be in any of these categories, it will cope with the tasks. To get an idea of the purpose of the saw of each class, you can see a review of chainsaws, it is easy to find on the Internet.
But if there is a need to form your own opinion and choose a chainsaw for specific needs, then it is better to try to sort out the issue yourself and decide on the basis of your needs.
- Household chainsawit makes sense to choose for home or on the suburban area. It has the lowest power, is calculated on the occasional and short use. The design uses a low-profile circuit, damping vibration during operation. Due to this and low weight, its holding and working with such a saw does not cause any difficulties. Amateur chainsaw is quite enough to solve such tasks as cutting plants, harvesting firewood, making small structures like benches or sandboxes. So if you need to choose a chainsaw to give, then this option will be optimal.
- Semi chainsawhas higher power in comparison with amateur. Such a tool is more suitable for construction: the manufacture of rafters, plating, floor boards it can. However, it is not recommended to overload the saw of this class, it is able to withstand about 5 hours of continuous work, no more than 10 hours per day.A semi-professional chainsaw weighs about 6 kilograms, so buying it exclusively for domestic purposes is often not practical.
- Professional chainsawheavy (weighs more than 6 kilograms), powerful (up to 6 kilowatts), very noisy. It is quite difficult to use, and its acquisition is justified solely for professional purposes: the saw of this class is able to work for a long time (up to 8 hours of continuous work, after a half-hour break - as many), coping with the most difficult tasks.
Such a tool of a semi-professional or amateur class will satisfy all needs, while it is not difficult to manage, and due to its low weight even a woman can work with it.
The cost for such models is lower than for professional ones, so if the task is how to choose a chainsaw for price and quality, then the models in this category are optimal.
Another factor that is worth paying attention to when deciding which chainsaw to choose is the headset: the chain, protection, tire and other elements with which the chainsaw is equipped. What brand to choose?
Definitely one of the well-known and common ones, since in case of a breakdown or the need to replace any parts, it is necessary to look for the headset of this brand - the other one just will not work.
In order to protect yourself from possible problems in the future, it is better to immediately choose a brand chainsaw, components for which it will be easy to find in any situation.
Aspects of choice
When buying a chainsaw, you must also pay attention to the following parameters:
- the location of the motor and its shape.It is better to refrain from buying a tool in which the engine is horizontally and asymmetrically - such a saw will constantly move to the side due to the center of gravity shifted from the axis. It is simply impossible to use such a saw for a long time, which means that this option is unacceptable for semi-professional and professional saws;
- cutting speed.On most models of chainsaws from different manufacturers, approximately the same tires and chains are installed within the same price segment, so the cutting speed will vary slightly. It is worth looking at the steel grade: using it, you can estimate approximately how often the chain will have to be sharpened;
- gas mileage.It is logical that more powerful chainsaws will “drink” much more fuel than amateur models. When choosing, you need to take into account the consumption of gasoline: in some situations it will be more profitable to take a less powerful saw, which even with a longer operating time will require less fuel to accomplish the same task as compared to a more powerful one.
The chain is the main element of the design, it is on its quality that the convenience and productivity of work will directly depend. It is recommended that before buying carefully study how to choose a chain for chainsaw: they differ in their step.
There are three standard step chainsaws: 0.325 inches, 3/8, and 0.404 inches. The last two can often be found on professional and semi-professional chainsaws: such chains can be operated for several hours in a row, sawing through rather thick wood.
The chain quickly gets blunt from continuous work, so the most far-sighted buy a machine for sharpening chainsaw chains and a spare chain in advance so that the tool will not stand idle without a chain for the time of grinding.And sharpen the chain in increments of 0.325 inches often enough.
Tires chainsaws vary in length and shape. Long tires (up to 70 centimeters) better cope with the sawing of thick wood, as it goes deeper. In this case, much more energy and fuel is spent on the rotation of the chain, which, in the presence of an insufficiently powerful motor, leads to a loss in speed.
Thus, often for work in the country or in a private farm rather short tires (no longer than 40 centimeters), which will do well with the sawing of boards and trees due to the speed of rotation of the chain.
In addition to length, tires vary in shape. On amateur-class chainsaws, narrow and flat tires are most common. In combination with low-profile chains, they are the safest, since they do not give a kickback.
Lightweight tires are best suited for work at height. They are two steel plates bonded from the inside with polyamide. There are tires with replaceable heads on professional chainsaws, but there is no point in this at home.
Since a chainsaw is a tool that can cause serious injuries, considerable attention should be paid when choosing the safety of working with it.Necessary devices are protection against vibration and against the return blow.
Protection from vibration, as the name implies, dampens the vibration that occurs when a chainsaw is used.
Without it, a significant load on the joints of the hands is created. It is necessary to pay attention to the relative position of the engine and fuel tank: ideally, they should be as far from each other as possible.
This allows you to harmonize the weight of the instrument. The presence of rubber gaskets between the handle and the body is also an advantage, since such inserts perfectly cope with the task.
When working with a chainsaw it may happen that the tool captures the wood only with the tip. This causes the unit to rebound on the worker and can cause serious injuries. To prevent this from happening, there is a so-called back kick protection. It is implemented in the form of a lever or shield.
The shield is placed on the tip of the saw bar so that it is isolated in the event of a rebound. This design is not particularly widespread, it is impossible, in particular, to meet on chainsaws made in Sweden.
Brake protection design is a small lever located near the hand while the tool is running.In the event of a tire bounce, the brush involuntarily presses on it, causing braking of the entire system.
Chainsaws on the market are represented by the production of various countries. Their products vary in quality, popularity, prevalence.
Russian-made chainsaws, although they are quite common, are inferior in reliability to those from Europe. Their undeniable advantage is that it is much easier to find accessories and spare parts for domestic products.
When choosing a chainsaw, the rule that the price is proportional to quality is fair. Within the same class, a more expensive model is more likely to last longer and be more convenient to use.
They have a fairly wide range of models in each price segment, so as part of the products of these brands you can pick up a quality product for almost any purpose. However, their cost is higher than the price of similar in characteristics saws of other manufacturers.
Among the economy class saws, it is recommended to pay attention to the products of the Partner brand (a subsidiary of Husqvarna). It has a lower quality of materials in comparison with Husqvarna and Stihl products, a less convenient construction, but its cost is noticeably lower. It is also important that the chainsaws of this series are suitable for higher-quality and reliable chains of the Stihl brand.