Foot fungus: symptoms, causes and treatment. Foot mycosis in children: symptoms
Foot fungus is one of the most common diseases found in dermatology. Statistics are disappointing - almost 70% of the population suffers from this disease.
Of course, his symptoms and treatment should be considered and resolved only in the doctor’s office. However, in practice, the suffering, as a rule, not to the doctor. Better straight to the pharmacy. Here it is worth thinking: why, actually, the fungus of the foot? The symptoms of such ailments as keratoderma, eczema, psoriasis, and even ordinary diaper rash are quite similar to the aforementioned disease. Remember, only a laboratory test can determine the infection.
The essence of the disease
The fungus of the foot (or mycosis) is a nuisance triggered by pathogenic microscopic organisms. Revealed many varieties of disease. For example, nail fungus is called onychomycosis.And the skin - dermatomycosis. In practice, the symptoms of both ailments are often enough at the same time.
The disease is transmitted by contact with the infection. Quite often, the symptom of foot and nail fungus is observed in people walking barefoot in the pool, wearing someone else's shoes, attending a shower without slippers. If the infection is brought into the house, then the disease can quickly spread within the family.
No one is immune from mycosis. However, there are factors that several times increase the risk of feeling the symptoms of foot fungus and nails on yourself.
- Low immunity. In this case, the person is open to various infections. Mycosis in this category is much harder. Chronic, long-lasting diseases can greatly undermine the immune system. Often the source of problems are the diseases of the endocrine and nervous systems, lack of vitamins in the body.
- Change sweat. When the composition of the secretion of the corresponding glands is changed, all conditions for the development of the fungus are created.
- Childhood. Kids have thin skin, while the protective mechanism they have not formed at a sufficient level.Such factors make children easy prey for mycosis.
- Inadequate hygiene. The use of someone else's towels, nail accessories, shoes, irregular foot care lead in most cases to infection. At times it increases the risk of infection and non-compliance with the rules of hygiene in public places - in saunas, baths, swimming pools.
- Tight shoes. Inconvenient shoes made of synthetic materials lead to increased sweating of the feet. As a result, an ideal environment is created for the development of the fungus.
Varieties of ailment
According to the location of the pathology on the foot, the disease is of the following types:
- Interdigital mycosis. Most often observed in patients with acute or chronic form.
- Plantar mycosis. As a rule, this type of keratinization and peeling of the foot.
- Deep mycosis. With this ailment we are talking about the defeat not only of the skin surface, but also of the deeper layers.
- Dyshydrotic dermatophytosis. This type is visually similar to allergic dermatitis. The skin of the foot is covered with vesicles, vesicles.
- Onychomycosis. It is characterized by lesions of the fingers and toenails.
Symptoms of foot fungus
The classic form of the disease is manifested by moderate thickening and redness of the skin. The surface of the foot appears to be shiny, with a reinforced pattern. Mucous scales accumulate on dry skin in the grooves.
The third and fourth interdigital folds are the first places in which the foot fungus begins to develop. The symptoms eventually spread to other gaps, the sole and the back side.
As a rule, there are two types of illness:
- flaky skin;
- keratinization - characterized by the formation of thickenings, corns.
At the initial stage, the symptoms are a little pronounced. The patient is completely unaware that he has symptoms typical for such a disease as a foot fungus. And the photo of the initial stage of the disease demonstrates how little difference it is from healthy skin.
The first signs are:
- Mucous scales;
- small surface cracks.
The initial stage can last a long period of time. But, unfortunately, continues to progress foot fungus.
- the smell is rather unpleasant;
- skin coarsens;
- increased surface dryness;
- the appearance of coarse corns on the side surface and the sole;
- painful and deep cracks on the heels.
Signs of fungus in the interdigital spaces
While wearing poor-quality or unventilated shoes intense sweating of the feet is observed. This leads to swelling of the skin surface, the occurrence of erosion, the formation of cracks. The main complaints of patients are: burning sensation, soreness, unbearable itching.
Over time, the patient's condition worsens. Starts to progress foot fungus. Symptoms and treatment each patient should discuss only with a doctor.
A more advanced form is characterized by increased pain, itching. These sensations are most sensitive during movement. In the interdigital spaces can observe the formation of large bubbles. In the future, they become eroded. A characteristic whitish border around the damaged area.
Symptoms of nail damage
Signs of a fungus of nail plates are rather characteristic. Typically, this is:
- brown or yellowish gray nail polish;
- white spots, initially having a dotted structure, but with time spreading over the entire plate.
Fungus in a child?
Not only adults are affected. Often, babies can be observed foot fungus. Symptoms in children appear fairly quickly and have a pronounced character.
To determine the presence of the disease is possible by the following features:
- Peeling of the skin of the feet. Small scales are formed mainly between the fingers. It should be understood that such particles are the main source of infection. Their presence in shoes can provoke a relapse of the disease.
- Sometimes the disease begins with blistering and eroding. They are localized, as a rule, on the folds or between the fingers. The main place of peeling is the area between the ring finger and little finger.
If the child complains of discomfort in the area of the feet, do not ignore this problem. After all, foot fungus, the symptoms and treatment of which must be discussed with your doctor, can lead to a bacterial infection.
Treatment of ailment
To effectively combat the disease is to tune in for a long period. It should be remembered that mycosis of the feet and its treatment require an extremely comprehensive approach. Only a doctor can prescribe this therapy, identifying the causes of the disease.The correct approach helps to cure the patient in a few weeks if the stage is not running. Otherwise, it may take a year.
The general scheme of treatment includes several points.
- Drug therapy. Based on the tests performed, the doctor prescribes the appropriate drugs. These include: "Griseofulvin", "Fluconazole", "Terbinafin", "Sertaconazole". Drugs have a rather different spectrum of action. Therefore, self-treatment of the above medicines is completely unacceptable.
- Ointment. Simultaneously with the medication prescribed antifungal creams. They promote healing and significantly calm the symptoms. Reduces burning, itching, pain. They tend to accelerate the regeneration of the affected areas.
- Enhance immunity. Be sure to appoint a doctor drugs that improve the protective functions, as well as stimulating blood circulation in the tissues.
- Antiallergic drugs. Mycosis is usually accompanied by unpleasant reactions. To combat allergies, appropriate drugs are added to the complex of therapeutic measures.
- Dieting.In case of fungal diseases, it is recommended to exclude fatty and sweet foods from the diet. It is more useful to dwell on fruits, cereals, and vegetables. You should eat a lot of meat.
- Surgical intervention. Such measures are taken only in extreme cases. If none of the prescribed drugs gave the desired effect, and the patient continues to suffer symptoms, the doctor will recommend surgery. It consists in removing damaged nail plates.
As previously noted, the approach to the fight should be comprehensive. You can begin to act as soon as you see the first symptoms that characterize the foot fungus. Treatment of folk remedies is also quite effective. But remember that the victory over the disease is possible only with the full interaction with the doctor. After all, most of the tools allows you to alleviate the symptoms, but it does not get rid of the mycosis itself.
Auxiliary measures include the following:
- Use nail polishes containing antifungal ingredients. They do not possess medical property. However, they are able to protect healthy nails and adjacent skin from the spread of infection.
- The use of folk remedies. These measures are very popular among the population.The main thing is not to forget that they cannot act as an independent treatment if a foot fungus is diagnosed. Symptoms, as a rule, are removed with the help of vinegar, baking soda, iodine, and various herbal extracts. The treatment of ailment with birch tar is considered quite effective.
- Patches. Today's pharmacology provides many measures to combat mycosis. Antifungal patches can soften and partially remove the affected nail plate.
With this disease, as a rule, patients are not hospitalized. Therefore, the treatment takes place at home. For a good result, as well as to avoid the risk of infection of the household, it is recommended to follow simple rules.
- Mushrooms spread only in a humid environment. Exclude the aforementioned source, and your chances for a cure will increase considerably.
- Protect all family members from illness. Explain to them that walking barefoot is now canceled. Especially in the bathroom. Do not forget after bathing it is obligatory to process shower disinfectant. This applies to both the bath and the floor.
- You should wash your feet daily with soap.All missing parts carefully collect in a napkin. Avoid getting them under the nails.
- After completing the washing of the feet, pay attention to the interdigital spaces. Dry them with a napkin or hair dryer. Only then apply the ointment prescribed by the doctor.
- It is recommended to use powder while wearing shoes.
- Every day, change cotton white socks. Used to boil for 10 minutes. You can soak socks in a disinfectant. For shoes, use specially designed antifungal sprays.
Every woman dreams of becoming the owner of well-groomed feet, pink heels and flawless pedicure. However, some unpleasant to wear open sandals. After all, on the way got a fungus of the foot. Symptoms of illness should not lead to despair. After all, it is necessary to have patience and work diligently, then recovery is guaranteed for you.