How to compose a verse?
Many novice poets believe that rhyme isthe main thing that should be in verse, because it is on this basis that poetry can be distinguished from prose. In fact, not quite so: for example, you can write a beautiful poem using a white verse, vers libre, or even to compose a work in the spirit of IS Turgenev's Poems in Prose. If you want to learn how to compose beautiful, sincere, memorable and lively poems, then you need to take into account many other points. Let's talk about how to learn how to write poetry. Consider common tips, and also give an approximate plan for writing your creation.
How to write a verse: general tips
- The main role in the poem is played by emotions -it is them that must be tried to convey, to put their experiences in the most appropriate verbal form. Therefore, it is better to write about what you experienced, not to invent what you did not feel - the reader will catch falsehood, and the poems will turn out bad. Also, in the transmission of your emotions, do not hesitate to choose exactly the words that are most suitable for this, and it does not matter whether anyone has used such expressions before you.
- It is necessary to develop a good aesthetic taste, andfor this you need to read as many verses as possible from different authors: domestic, foreign, 19th-century classics, contemporaries, etc. Read not thoughtlessly, just enjoying the beauty of lines, and analyze what artistic means the author uses, according to which scheme he builds most of his poems , about what he writes, etc. Mark for yourself the most liked - you can then use them in your work.
- Look for inspiration. According to the plan to write a poem in the evening - this is only on order, and in most cases such poems are mediocre. To get real poetry, you should visit the muse. Good poems are written in moments of vivid emotional experiences. You can even write not verse, but simply put on paper the flow of your thoughts in the most appropriate form. A little later you will re-read what you wrote, and you will be able to turn it into verse. You can try to catch inspiration yourself. For example, if you want to write about nature, go to the forest or to a deserted park, breathe the air of nature, watch it. If you want to write about something sad and calm, on a rainy autumn evening you can go to a cafe on the outskirts of the city - order a delicious coffee, watch the rain outside the window, listen to quiet cozy music.
- To write good poetry, you still need to havethe idea of what principles and by what means poems are created. Do not be lazy to learn a little bit of theory - it will be useful. So, you can learn the basics of versification by studying, for example, AP Kvyatkovskii's Poetic Dictionary or VE Holshevnikov's The Fundamentals of Poetry.
- The fundamentals of versification can be found on this resource.
- Study the means of artistic expressiveness in detail. Here you will find a brief table of the main artistic means with examples.
We compose poetry: a creative plan
Verses can be written in completely different ways. In the future, you will develop for yourself your style of writing. Perhaps you will need time to carefully think about the future rhyme or to choose the right words, perhaps you will just feel an irresistible desire to take a pen and paper as soon as possible in order to express the thought formed in the head in the form of a ready-made poem. While you do not have the usual work plan, you can use the proposed:
- You were visited by inspiration, the desire to write poetry. Get out, take a pen and paper and just write down what you feel, in whatever order, whatever you like and with whatever words. Write until you feel that you have written everything you wanted.
- Now analyze what you have written, scrollthe main emotions and feelings are the "core" of the future poem, something that will need to be revealed and emphasized from different angles. Analyze everything written, select what you can use to create poetry.
- Now do as you prefer: or immediately write poetry as the soul wills, or create a clear plan for what will be said in each stanza, and then, following it, begin to write. Disclosure of feelings in verse can be constructed in different ways: for example, in the first line immediately state the main idea, and then gradually reveal its facets; emotions can also be unfolded gradually, first only hinting at them, then venturing into them in the middle of the poem, and by the end giving the main result of all of the above. Pay special attention to the last line - it largely depends on the emotions that arise after reading the poem, it affects whether the poem will be remembered, whether it becomes special for the reader.
- After you finish writing, put off workfor a while, rest. Then re-read, correct, maybe somewhere you need to pick up other words, etc. Work on the poem until it completely suits you. Then you can give it to a person whose opinion you trust. Be ready for criticism, take it for good, do not be offended. In the process of practice, you sharpen your style.
So you can write poetry yourself. If you are truly interested in this, be prepared to learn and do not expect quick and brilliant results, eventually your talent will unfold. Also you can benefit from our article. How to write a verse.