How to wash a pillow? 9 important rules and recommendations
Clean, fresh-smelling bedding relaxes the body and delights the soul. One change of a duvet cover, sheets, pillowcases is not enough for a sleeping place to shine with novelty.
Blankets and pillows absorb excess moisture, odors and dust, which makes them have to be replaced with new ones. In order not to waste time and money on the purchase of new pillows, you can update the old ones - wash them.
Types of pillows, causes and general rules of their washing
Our grandparents are familiar with only one type of pillow - pen. But, fortunately, time does not stand still, and the modern generation has the opportunity to sleep not only on these, but also on other sleeping accessories.
Today there are the following types of pillows.
- Down and feather.They are soft, pleasant and easy to clean, but have one drawback - they can cause allergic reactions.
- Woolen.Breathable, moisture-proof and heat-retaining cushions that cannot be washed.
- Silk.Durable, moisture-resistant, hypo-allergenic pillows that are easily washed, but not everyone can afford.
- Bamboo.Eco-friendly, hypo-allergenic pillows, they can be washed and cleaned.
- Synthetic:their holofiber, sintepon, latex. They do not collect dust, do not electrify and do not cause allergies.
- With original filler- buckwheat hulls, kapok, comfort.
Quite often it turns out that the beloved pillow “suffered” a little: either from tears, or from tea accidentally spilled on it. And this is only in cases with adults.
Children's pillows are much more vulnerable: a child at any moment can describe them or belch.
So what to do in this case, buy a new one? It is not necessary, because almost any filler is possible to wash, following certain rules.
For all these types there are general rules for washing:
- pillows cannot be washed frequently, or they may lose their shape;
- downy pillows and goose feather products are washed 2-4 times a year;
- synthetic fillers, even under the slightest impact of water, lose their original shape, so they are best cleaned and not washed;
- napernik erased separately from the filler. If it has stains, they are easily removed with a stain remover.
To learn how to wash a pillow, you need to familiarize yourself with the peculiarities of cleaning different types of fillers.
How to wash feather and down pillows by hand?
Our grandmothers washed down pillows in the winter so that they could well freeze to death. Today, few people resort to such ancient methods, people prefer to use machines for the washing of pillows. But supporters of "grandmother's methods" may well do hand washing. The sequence of actions is as follows.
- Unzip the pillow from the feather or fluff.
- In a bath or large basin with warm water, dilute the detergent or shavings of laundry soap.
- Down or feather in small parts immersed in water and leave for 2 hours. If you immediately wet the entire filler, it will be difficult to dry it.
- Drain the dirty water and squeeze out the filler.
- The final steps are rinsing, spinning and drying in the open air.
Many people ask: why spend so much time and effort, if you can wash a pillow, like all other things, in a washing machine? The answer is simple: by hand, feathers and feathers will be evenly cleaned and retain their shape.
Features wash pillows in the washing machine
For different types of fillers has its own instructions on how to wash. Rules of washing feather pillows in a conventional washing machine.
- First steam the pillow-case and divide the filler into several parts (if the pillow is large).
- Then take the old pillow case and put the filler there in parts. For example, two or three pillowcases.
- Load the pillow case in the drum and select the wash mode. Most modern automatic machines are equipped with a “duvet” mode, but if not, then you can choose the usual one.
- Temperature - optimum for washing of down in the washing machine - 30 degrees.
- Detergent. Gel-shaped washing powders are best suited for washing feather pillows, they are well rinsed out.
- Spinning Pooh is not afraid of high revolutions, so you can easily choose a spin for 1000 revolutions.
In the same way, pillows with wool and silk filling are washed. Now you can read the rules of washing bamboo pillows in the washing machine.
- Features:napernik not removed. It is enough just to check the seams so that there are no holes and gaps anywhere.
- Detergent:liquid, you can use rinse.
- Temperature: 30-40 degrees. You can not wash bamboo pads at 60 degrees, otherwise they will lose shape.
- Spin:600-800 revolutions.
- Drying:must not be hung on a clothesline. It is necessary to spread it out on a flat surface and beat it regularly so that lumps and seals do not form in a separate part of the pillow.
It is also important to choose additional rinsing to avoid bonding of bamboo fibers.
Synthetic pillows are the easiest to erase. There are no special requirements for what to do before, during and after washing this type of filler. The only thing worth paying attention to: spin. Unlike feather, synthetic cushions must be pressed at the maximum speed. This will allow them to dry faster.
What should I do to keep the pillow from losing its shape?
In addition to all the recommendations on what to do with different fillers for pillows during washing, there are also secrets how to avoid the accumulation of fluff, feather or padding polyester.
- Tennis balls when washing feather pillows - the perfect way to avoid the accumulation of fluff.
- Pillows filled with fluff or feather can be divided into several washings. That is one washable pillow for two washings.
- When washing pillows with any filler, you cannot use bleaching agents that can destroy the texture of the fibers.
If there is no certainty that the washing will be successful, then it is better not to do this, but to seek help from specialists in the laundry or dry-cleaning. If you still have a desire to wash pillows at home, you will be able to save the family budget and get new practical skills.