Myofascial release in fitness: a description of the technique, exercises and reviews
The term itself came to fitness from medical practice and consists of the Greek words "myo" and "fascia", which means, respectively, "muscle" and "connective tissue". One of the meanings of the English word "release" is translated as "release." Simply put, myofascial release is a technique for relaxing tight muscles and clamped areas of connective tissue.
Where does muscular discomfort come from?
Probably, every person is familiar with suddenly arising burning pains in one or another point of the body. At the same time, the sensations are very unpleasant, and they are removed for a short while, and then with the help of medicines, for example, by taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Modern lifestyle is very conducive to the appearance of such troubles. Sedentary lifestyle, or vice versa, an excessive passion for sports, training for only one muscle group,bad posture - all this contributes to the appearance of the so-called trigger points of pain, which only increases with time.
What is a myofascial release?
The technique of myofascial release is aimed at soft stretching and relaxation of muscle and connective tissue and should be combined with massage. To do this, palpation and pressure with phalanges and fingertips, fists, elbows and forearms.
In fitness, myofascial release became a full-fledged workout based on rolling and pressure on a tense area of the body with a special massage pilates roller made of foam or foam materials. It can include elements of yoga and self-massage, aerobic exercise and special exercises, performing which a person should feel comfortable and get rid of pain.
The benefits of the technique
How is myofascial release used in fitness? Properly chosen training course gives excellent results. Significantly facilitated or completely pass:
- back and neck pain;
- apathy and insomnia;
- body tone is restored;
- improves joint mobility and ligament elasticity;
- accelerates the healing of microtraumas of the muscles and tendons;
- metabolism and blood circulation is normalized;
- increases the body's supply of oxygen;
- the excess weight starts to disappear, the skin flattens and cellulite disappears;
- muscles strengthen, forming a correct posture.
Myofascial release has contraindications, like any sport. Classes are prohibited in the following cases:
- hypertension or hypertension, which goes beyond the limits of the norms, hypertension;
- infectious or viral diseases;
- chronic diseases in the acute stage;
- 2 and 3 trimesters of pregnancy; in the first trimester, consultation with a doctor and a trainer is obligatory;
- diabetes of any type;
- varicose veins, thrombosis;
- in osteoporosis, it is possible to use the technique sparingly, strictly after the permission of the doctor;
- the presence of cancer.
Myofascial release should be used with caution.
The execution time of the rolling section with the pain point should be at least 30 seconds, but can be extended to 1-2 minutes depending on the state of the muscle.If the tension is strong, the pain has appeared long ago, and the muscle becomes “rocky”, then more time will be needed. In this case, it is recommended to freeze at the pain point for 30-45 seconds, this contributes to greater relaxation.
If a sharp pain, not like a muscle one, occurs, the exercise should be suspended, as the vessel or nerve most likely turned out to be transferred. It is necessary to slightly change the position of the body or choose another exercise. The main factor is the feeling of comfort when rolling.
Recommendations for implementation
How to properly perform myofascial release? Exercises are done slowly, concentrating on sensations and controlling breathing. It should remain deep and calm. Only in this way will it be possible to regulate the pressure of the roller on the body and regulate the pressing force until the pain disappears and pleasant relaxation appears.
The range of motion must remain small so that no tension arises. If balance cannot be maintained, it is permissible to use a support.
If a strong feeling of tiredness or nervous excitement appears, it is necessary to stop training and inform the trainer about it.Probably need to adjust the program.
Myofascial release is performed daily, periodically or only in case of pain. The optimal frequency is 2-5 times a week for 1-1.5 hours.
For beginners, it is better to use scooters made of soft materials, as hard ones can cause great pain. At a more advanced stage, various balls are often used - from a fitball to tennis.
Myofascial release: training
Currently, most fitness centers include this methodology in their program, and coaches attend training courses and seminars on the technique of myofascial release for both personal and group classes.
It is better to do it under the guidance of an experienced trainer who will be able to track the correctness of performance and insure against injury to the spine. But some basic exercises can be done at home, after conducting training:
- wear tight-fitting clothing and socks;
- remove hair and remove jewelry;
- on a full stomach can not engage, after a meal should take at least 1.5-2 hours;
- during the class, you can gradually drink water, after class drink a glass of warm water.
Here are some exercises of myofascial release for the neck area:
- Gently tilt the neck first to the right, then to the left. It is necessary to find the most comfortable position and remember it. Do not push too hard.
- Then, after determining the comfort points, you need to turn your head so as to achieve comfort. Stay in this position for 30 seconds and return to the neutral position. Take four deep breaths in and out. Repeat.
- Gradually increase the time of staying at the comfort point to 1 minute, then to 1.5 minutes. Do not forget about breathing.
These exercises with regular performance will help relieve acute pain in the cervical region.
Technique myofascial release at home is poorly controlled. It is correct to perform this or that exercise or not - it is difficult to assess yourself. As a result, you can not only not get proper relaxation, but also injure yourself or increase pain. So, 5 mistakes made by those involved:
- Immediately proceed to rolling out the muscle in which the trigger point is located.This is fundamentally wrong, as a sharp pressure directly on the sensitive area will only make it worse. In addition, it can provoke inflammation and slow the recovery of damaged muscles. First, roll the area around the point of pain, then gradually increase the range of motion.
- Take a too fast pace. As already noted, all the exercises are performed slowly and smoothly, firstly, in order not to stretch the ligaments, and secondly, that they adapt to the load. The slower the execution, the better the adhesions dissolve. Fast rolling is acceptable as a short warm-up before training.
- Long stay on the most sensitive point. This is unacceptable, because if you roll the same area for more than a minute, and even using all your weight, then there is a high probability of injury to the tissues and, much more annoying, nerves. Severe pain is an indicator of improper exercise.
- Do not hold posture. The spine should remain flat, and the chest - slightly protruding forward. A bent, hunched back and shallow breathing will nullify the whole effect of the technique.
- Too much pressure on the spine and lumbar region, which leads to the opposite result - instead of relaxing the muscles contract to prevent damage to the spine. Rolling this part of the body, it is better to use a support, at least hands. But it is best to knead those muscles that depart from the spine - gluteus, pear-shaped, hip flexors.
Many people like this technique because it is really effective. Those who tried the exercises once felt the result.
Myofascial release causes only positive feedback. It is a very effective technique that can alleviate pain, improve health and strengthen the body, even with occasional use. Relief from stress and restoration of psychological stability will be a pleasant addition.
There is no age limit, which allows the method to be applied to any groups. However, it is very important to carefully listen to your body and keep track of the slightest negative manifestations, then the classes will be useful and joy.