Sound insulation of the ceiling in the apartment: materials and technology
The presence in the apartment or house of extraneous noise is a frequent problem of the owners. This is especially true for residents of high-rise and apartment buildings. Even if in the neighboring premises there is no repair or shouting, it is unpleasant to hear some sounds. And to solve such a problem is simple. This is a soundproofing ceiling.
In the process of this work, there are always many questions, one of which is the collection of free space, as well as whether it is possible to do the whole process yourself. Before you start the process, it is worth weighing all the positive and negative sides of each material. Now the market has enough offers to get a full soundproofing ceiling.
What to look for?
In order not to lose the useful area in the apartment, you can use a small thickness, but an effective material. Before you start is to find out what kind of noise interfere with the owners to live fully. Conventionally, they are divided into the following:
- Structural. It occurs when hitting the wall, in the process of repair work, moving furniture, games, etc. Transmission occurs on the main building components - the ceiling and walls.
- Acoustic. Transmission occurs on the same building components, but occurs in the air, and only after that the transmission of sound begins. This includes a lot - talking on high tones, loud music, TV, baby crying, etc.
Strangely enough, but the second option is the worst, and it is not always possible to cope with it. Because those sounds, which originate in the air, reach the walls, the ceiling, are partially extinguished, having not so much power. But the first view, on the contrary, is easier to eliminate (especially in those houses where the structural elements are fully connected with each other). Much will depend on the type of house, so the sound is not always the same. Therefore, sound insulation of the ceiling is a personal desire of everyone who lives in the apartment.
Today, conditionally, all houses are divided into three main types:
- Brick. Such structures are considered the best, and the sounds are distributed in a minimum quantity.Therefore, rarely anyone thinks about additional sound insulation. The owners of such apartments almost never encounter such a problem, because the walls are thick enough.
- Panel. These are the most unsuccessful structures, because the partitions are thin, despite the fact that they are made of concrete. Sounds (even low volume) pass quickly. Therefore, you can acquire silence in your home by creating reliable sound insulation.
- Frame. The walls are made thicker than in the previous form, but nevertheless the sounds quickly fly away. We have to think through every stage of protection for the whole family.
It turns out that many are faced with the problem of unnecessary noise in the housing. Of course, not everyone creates such sound barriers for himself, but there are people who without this cannot feel full. Each family lives differently: some are quiet, others are loud and active. Do not forget about dysfunctional families. Anyone who sets such a goal will easily create comfort in the apartment.
What is guided by?
One option is soundproofing the ceiling. But you need to understand the principle of such an addition before you begin The denser the material, the faster the sound.It is for this reason that concrete is not so reliable in the sound barrier. But to choose a soundproofing material is best porous and soft. Such characteristics help to suppress noise and swallow sounds without any problems. Sound insulation of the ceiling in the apartment will be of high quality if the structure of the selected material is heterogeneous. In such a room acoustics is reduced.
But you can determine the efficiency by applying the absorption coefficient. This is, and its run-up from 0 to 1. The higher, the more reliable the material for protection. A parallel comparison can be made to understand what is being said:
- Brick - 0.04.
- Tree - 0.02.
- Concrete - 0.15.
From this it is easy to conclude that building materials are not such an obstacle to sounds. Therefore, soundproofing the ceiling in the apartment is a must. In order to have an effect, it is necessary that the coefficient of the material be more than half the unit. All materials are divided into two main groups:
- Able to absorb sound.
- With the effect of reflection.
In order for the sound insulation of the ceiling from the neighbors to be of high quality, you need to find a material that can combine these two indicators. That is what gives the reliability and the likelihood of maximum protection.Although experts on this do not limit the separation.
By hardness level
There is another indicator - it is rigidity. There are high-quality options that combine the best qualities in themselves, but their thickness may not be available for an apartment. What you need to highlight:
- Hard. They have a small absorption coefficient. But there is an advantage. This is a small thickness. Therefore, they will not take a lot of free space.
- Semi-rigid This is something average, because the absorption is excellent, and the density is low.
- Soft. These are the best materials. They cope with almost all incoming unnecessary sounds. But at the same time, the manufacturer produces them with a large thickness. To understand what is at stake, it is mineral wool. Thickness reaches 10 centimeters.
As a result, everyone for whom soundproofing the ceiling from the neighbors becomes an important task will have to make a choice in one of the parties. There are no other options on sale yet. But not everyone save space in the first place.
The simplest materials
In the sales market, everyone will find a huge range, although there are always leaders. It should be noted among them the main ones.
Soundproofing the ceiling of this material is very popular. Basically, it goes as a heater, but at the same time absorbs sounds well. The advantage of ease of installation and low price. To achieve the desired result, the thickness must be large. Additionally, you will have to perform finishing.
This is a good option that does not ignite and helps protect against sounds. In the process of installation will have to perform the frame. It occupies free space and requires finishing. Therefore, this material is not always suitable for sound insulation of the ceiling.
This is a quality material. Sounds does not miss, durable and quickly mounted, but is considered toxic.
Noise insulation tape
It is self-adhesive, creates a barrier to noise and heat. And the main plus is safe for human health.
There are many kinds of classics in the assortment of classics, but they all have one drawback - thickness. If the ceilings are low, then remove another 10 centimeters will be sensitive. Here it is worth making a decision that is important for all family members.
Low thickness of soundproof materials
Choosing materials with a small thickness is a barrier to unnecessary sound and space saving.
It should be noted that there will be no full protection, but the effect is noticeable. What does this include:
- Soundproofing lining. This is a thin film that evens, warms and soundproof the room. The thickness is not more than six centimeters, but the absorption of sounds is not more than 30 percent. In any apartment this is not enough.
- Cork flooring. Most often used as a finishing material, but it has a good noise protection. Such panels began to be used by many. They are environmentally friendly, look attractive and have an extra bonus - they do not let the sounds through.
- Noise block. This material is often used today, as with a thickness of two and a half centimeters creates an excellent barrier to noise from the outside.
- Membranes. It is easy to work with them, and their thickness is slightly more than three millimeters. At the same time installation of sound insulation of the ceiling is simple. To do this, a crate is created, and a protective layer is applied to it. But the canvas should not have holes and irregularities in the base. Then you will need additional costs for construction tape for fixing the joints and tension.
- Penoplex. This is not so long ago appeared material. Began to be in demand for durability and technical characteristics. But there is also a minus - this is a high price.For a protective barrier to be of high quality, the thickness must be at least four centimeters.
- Softboard Produced in the form of plates, based on natural wood. The advantages are durability and environmental friendliness. No need to use a frame structure, and the total thickness - no more than one centimeter.
- Mineral plates, which include basalt ("Schumanet"). The price is affordable, but the quality does not suffer.
These are the main materials for sound insulation of the ceiling. Everyone behaves differently. When making a choice, it is better to additionally read all the characteristics, composition and other information in order to get a decent result.
Focus on sources
When unnecessary noises constantly walk in the apartment and the decision is made to protect oneself from them, it is worth understanding exactly where they come from. It was noted above that this is usually some kind of construction or acoustic. If the second option, the ceiling sound insulation is effective. And when the second view, it is necessary to subject the walls to protection, otherwise it will not work. In addition, there may be other sources:
- Heating pipes.
- Any additional holes.
Do not forget another important point: any design shrinks with time, so small gaps may appear. They are even in those places where they are not visible.
How to make sound insulation?
It does not matter what material the owner prefers - the procedure will be approximately equal. And the operation is performed in several steps:
- Surface preparation. In order not to take extra centimeters, it is necessary to remove the entire old finish, check it for cracks and other cavities. Particular attention is paid to the places where the fracture occurs most often. If something is found, then you need to cover it up or remove it in any other way.
- After the whole area is primed.
- Only when the primer is dry does the installation of the sound insulating material begin.
- Next is any available ceiling trim.
It is important in this process to carefully consider the cracks and the laying of the material. If this is done correctly, the apartment will be protected from extraneous sounds reliably. What soundproofing is better for a ceiling? If possible, a good option is to combine several materials.
So, we found out what materials are, and considered the technology of sound insulation of the ceiling. There are many offers on the market for any wallet and premises. In addition to the classic options, you can always find something modern and most effective. Therefore, the problem is better approached with full understanding.