When a colon is placed: instructions for completing tasks
When does the sentence contain a colon? It is usually used in complex sentences or where there are homogeneous terms expressed by any part of speech. In this article, we'll talk about when a colon is put. So, below, we will list the rules that govern the formulation of this punctuation mark and specific examples. When is a colon?
The rules of the Russian language
1. In the event that after the words of the author in the sentence is a direct speech. Examples:
Approaching the counter, Alexei said: "Please give me a packet of milk."
I thought, "Should I trust him?"
If the sentence does not use direct speech and there is an indirect speech (for example,"I thought it would be nice to be on time"), then the colon is not used. Alliances and commas are used instead.
2. A colon is placed in the event that two sentences are combined into one without the aid of unions, and the second part reveals the meaning of the first words. Example:
We finally descended the mountain and looked around: in front of us was the purest lake.
Two guards saw that the thieves had all fled.
3. A colon is also placed if the sentence consists of several parts (compound). There are two possible situations:
• The second part of the sentence reveals the meaning of the first. Example:
Elena was right: the only person who could stop him was his father.
Ivan did not trust him: he was afraid that Semyon would deceive him again.
• The second part describes the reason. Example:
I did not just do not trust you: you were always silent and extremely cold.
4. When is a colon? In the sentence after the generalizing word and before listing something to which it ends. Example:
In this house lived all his relatives: Mom, father, aunt, grandmother and mother-in-law. She was so clean in the apartment that everything seemed to shine: dishes, mirrors, and even sex. In this forest predators are found: wolves, foxes and bears.
5. The colon is put in the sentence, if there is a listing of something, but there is no general word. Example:
From the bag stuck out: a purse, documents, a comb and a passport.
From the apartment came out: a woman, a man and a child.
6. The colon is placed in the case of enumeration of something, the presence of a generalizing word or the following words: "like that", "for example", "viz." Examples:
He had many plans for the near future, for example: to buy a computer, to go to rest and get married.
Eugene was interested in information about the city of Astrakhan, namely: when it was founded, how many inhabitants it contains and what sights there are.
In what cases is a colon still inserted?
• In mathematics as a division sign. Example:6: 3 = 2.
• In information technology for the designation of computer disks. Example:D: R:and so on.
Now you know when a colon is put, andcan safely use this. Often illiteracy or inattention could be replaced by a "dash" sign instead of this punctuation mark. This is an unacceptable violation of the norms of the Russian language. And in mathematics, the division sign can be indicated in several ways:6/3 = 2 or 6: 3 = 2.